N.S. (Ken) Kendrick, III
Perspective. Understanding. Insight.
After over thirty years of trial and transactional law practice and ten years of independent board service, Ken has worked for the past seven years as a full time mediator and arbitrator. Ken has mediated over 1,000 cases in twelve states while serving on the Henning panel resulting in over $200,000,000 in funded settlements. In the aftermath of the 2008 financial crisis, Ken mediated more disputes involving directors and officers of failed financial institutions than any mediator in the country.
A long time “true believer” in mediation, in 1994 Ken drafted the organizational documents for the ADR Section of the Georgia Bar, served on the initial board with our founder, Ed Henning, and was later elected as third chair of the section. Ken received his first mediation training at the Harvard Law School Mediation Institute. In 2008 he completed an additional sixty hour program at the Strauss Dispute Resolution Institute (Pepperdine University) and in 2010 participated in an additional sixty hour domestic relations training program at Henning. He was included on the first listing of Georgia neutrals published by the Office of Dispute Resolution and is currently registered in general civil litigation and domestic relations.
Ken’s mediation practice focuses on business disputes and high asset domestic relations matters. Ken has mediated business divorce and post acquisition/merger disputes of all types as well as banking (post judgment mediation of largest lender liability verdict in Ga; D&O and fiduciary liability), mass torts (1100 consolidated dental malpractice cases; food contamination), insurance coverage (environmental, reputations, fiduciary and other), intellectual property (largest IP settlement in the history of UGA, trademark), estate, data processing systems and outsourcing (Fortune 15 company), professional liability (accounting, legal), employment (Fortune 15 company executives, non-compete disputes, wrongful termination), employee benefits (major health care system) and class action litigations (securities, consumer products, financial fraud). Ken brings his business experience and counseling training to domestic relations matters involving complex marital estate issues as well as the emotional disruption inherent in any family dissolution.
Ken has arbitrated local and international business disputes under Henning, AAA and ICC rules. He has been appointed as Special Master in both State and Federal courts.
- Ken is a “Double Dog” graduate of the University of Georgia (Philosophy - Magna Cum Laude; Law) and starting in 2010 returned to the classroom to complete Masters level course work in counseling at the University of North Georgia and Ridgemont Graduate University.
- University of Georgia, B.A., Magna Cum Laude (1970 - 1974)
- University of Georgia, J.D. (1977)
- Honored as a Georgia Super Lawyer
- Charter Member of National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, Georgia Chapter
- Georgia (1977)
Legal Employment & Experience
- Kendrick Conflict Resolution, LLC (to Present) (President)
- Womble, Carlyle, Sandridge & Rice; head of the Atlanta Business Litigation Group (Partner, 1996 - 2010)
- Johnson & Montgomery (Partner, 1988 - 1996)
- Fishman, Freeman & Kendrick (1982 - 1988)
- General Practice in Marietta, commercial transactions and litigation.
- Mediated cases in DC, WV, FL, SC, NV, CA, MN and AL in addition to GA.
- Litigated and arbitrated business matters in State and Federal trial courts including GA, TX, AL, FL, SC, TN, NY, MA, IN and KY.
- Appeared and argued before 5th, 11th and 2nd Circuit Courts of Appeal.
- State Bar of Georgia (Chairperson ADR Section, 1998)
- Co-founder of ADR Section of the State Bar (Chairperson, 1997)
- Harvard Law School Program of Instruction in Mediation
- Pepperdine University Civil Litigation (Strauss Dispute Resolution Institute)
- Henning Mediation & Arbitration (Domestic Relations)
- Received training in the arbitration of international commercial disputes under the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce
- Worked with Ed Henning and others to organize the first annual Georgia ADR Institute, served as a panelist on the first two institutes and as Co-chair of the Institute. (1996)
Recent Successful Mediations
- Two national class action cases (neither pending in Georgia) involving a total of over twenty law firms
- License dispute between a large Japanese technology manufacturer and its primary US customer
- Litigation consolidating claims of 30 east coast automobile dealers against a foreign manfactuer
- Numerous post dissolution corporate disputes between former business owners
- Post judgment mediation of largest GA lender liability verdict
- 50+ mediations of FDIC/D&O fidiuciary claims
- Contact dispute between two aircraft manufacturers regarding the production of a highly specialized project for a foreign government
- Dispute regarding failed software implementation between a major enterprise software vendor and a multi-national corporation
Areas of Expertise
- Shareholder Disputes
- Corporate Mergers and Acquisitions
- Fiduciary liability - D&O
- High asset domestic relations
- Partnership, accounting and dissolution
- Professional Negligence in business matters
- Federal False Claims Act (whistle blower)
- Consumer Class Actions
- State and Federal business RICO claims
- Commercial Insurance/Reinsurance
- Claim between financial institutions
- Complex Domestic Relations