Rex D. Smith
Patience, Creativity, Persistence & Compromise
Rex D. Smith was admitted to the Georgia Bar in 1976. In his 40 years of active practice he tried over 100 cases and had a strong trial and appellate practice. Mr. Smith has handled over 2,250 mediations/arbitrations. He has been selected by his peers to "Best Lawyers in America", "Georgia Super Lawyers" and holds the AV® Preeminent rating, the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating. Is experienced in personal injury, construction, products liability, wrongful death, professional negligence, medical malpractice, aviation, nursing home litigation and premises liability law.
- University of Georgia, J.D., Cum Laude, The Order of the Barristers, Moot Court Board, Student Senate
- Georgia State University, B.B.A. Economics; President, The Forum
- Georgia (1976)
- U.S. Supreme Court, 11th and 5th Circuit Courts
Legal Employment & Experience
- Civil Trial Lawyer (1976 - 2010)
- Mabry & McClelland, LLP (Managing Partner, 1986 - 1988)
- During Rex's 40 years of active law practice, he has tried over 100 cases and had a strong trial and appellate practice prior to limiting his practice to mediation and arbitration.
- Has spoken extensively throughout the country in the areas of Mediation, Traumatic Brain Injury and Products Liability.
- Represented Delta Air Lines in over 300 litigated matters until he devoted his practice exclusively to the areas of mediation and arbitration.
- Rex served as National Coordinating Counsel for a Fortune 40 company, a major national trucking company and international beverage company.
- Selected as a Fellow of the American College of Civil Trial Mediators'
- Selected by his peers to be included in The Best Lawyer's in America in the areas of arbitration, insurance law and mediation (2007 - 2016)
- Selected as "One of the Top Lawyers in Georgia" by the American Registry
- Honored as a Georgia Super Lawyer (Insurance Defense, 2004 - 2006) (ADR, 2007 - 2016)
- Selected as a Georgia Super Corporate Counsel in ADR (September 2010 Edition)
- Chosen by the American Registry as being recognized by Corporate Counsel as one of the Top Ten Lawyers
- Selected as a Top Lawyer in Georgia in Traumatic Brain Injury defense
- Charter member of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals
- AV Preeminent rating, the highest possible Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- Excellent Avvo Rating
- Executive Board Member, National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals (2010 - 2017)
- State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association; Chairman, Dispute Resolution Section (2014)
- Georgia Defense Lawyers Association (Former member)
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- Member Mount Pisgah Methodist Church Church (1988 to present)
- Resolution Resources, Mediation Training
- Henning Mediation & Arbitration Service, Inc.
Areas of Expertise
- Personal Injury
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Death
- Professional Negligence
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Litigation
- Premises Liability
- Trucking Liability
- Insurance coverage
- Sexual Misconduct
- Church Liability